Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey

THERE COULD POSSIBLY BE SOME SPOILERS TO PEOPLE IN THIS POST. (PROBABLY NOT)
I have been reading a book called the Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey by Trenton Lee Stewart. I've been reading this book for a while now, but I took a break. I've read The Mysterious Benedict Society and it is my favorite book. So far this one gets like a gazillion thumbs up too. I highly recommend them.


What I really wanted to talk about is why I love his books so much. I've given it a lot of thought and I think one of the main reasons is because his characters are so well developed. You either passionately love them or love to hate them. He takes so much time building up a sense of caring and passion for each character even if they are a minor character. He makes you feel like you know the person.

Take Mr. Benedict for example. He doesn't appear much in the book, but he is still a very thick character. (By thick I mean has a lot of aspects and characteristics to him.)
(If that makes sense.) Trenton Lee Stuart builds up Mr. Benedict's character by showing relationships and reactions from other characters in the book, so the reader knows that Mr. Benedict is a very kind-hearted, non- selfish, caring, compassionate patient, considerate, and understanding person. He is very good at reading people especially Reynie when he comes to his office to talk to him. He has to be patient to care for his two-year-old adopted daughter. He would never put anyone he cared about at risk to help himself.

His main characters that appear often in the story, such as "Ten Men" develop a certain reputation as the story goes on. (Ten Men are working for the main antagonist and are out to get The Mysterious Benedict Society. They are given their name "Ten Men" because they have ten different ways of hurting people.) They are obviously a huge threat to The Mysterious Benedict Society because they are hurtful, vexatious (mean), and every other negative adjective you could think of. They don't care about what they're doing as long as they are getting paid. They are like the deliberately hurt people because it's fun and you don't care about them version of mercenaries. (Soldiers paid by another country to fight for that country during the American Revolution.)

That is pretty much how awesomely Trenton Lee Stuart develops his characters.
I commented on Noah's BLOG.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I read the Mysterious Benidict Society Books they are really good. Ya i totally agree with you and Wow you explained it really well. I second your recommendation for anyone who loved a good mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh sorry i meant to say loves at the end there

    ReplyDelete