Wednesday, September 9, 2009

So Yesterday, Chapters Zero - Three

I just started reading this book called So Yesterday by Scott Westerfield. I haven't gotten very far, but I don't like it yet. I think that I don' t like it because it's confusing in the beginning. Put really, I cant' judge a book by the first 17 pages that I've read.

The characters in this book are classified into two categories. Innovators and trend setters. I don't really know what the relationship is supposed to mean, but I think it is kind if weird. Trend setter pay super close attention to detail and brands and stuff like that. I don't know much about the innovators because so far, there is only one that I know of.

Trend setters seem to see the world from a totally and completely different perspective. The title, So Yesterday kind of explains how the trend setters think. Trends get really old for them really fast. For example, here is an excerpt from the book. (The boy, Hunter is on the phone with some lady named Mandy from this focus group he is in (FYI: I think a focus group is a group of kids who are chosen to test a product, but I'm not sure.) and he is with some girl named Jen who he just met when he asked if he could take a picture of her shoes (Probably for the focus group) and here's the excerpt.)

"Okay, Mandy, whatever" I looked at Jen who was scrolling absently through numbers, politely not listening, maybe a little saddened by how old and decrepit her own phone was (at least six months).

Do you see what I mean? My point is that it would be crazy for a person to think a phone was old and decrepit at six months, but apparently not for a trend setter.

I'll let you know more about the book as I keep reading. Bye :-)

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a confusing book kind of.
    I thought that So Yesterday would be like: "Oh my god, Those shoes are like, So Yesterday"
    but apparently it's not

    -eRiN :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE SO YESTERDAY! It'll grow on you, I swear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seams interesting it is from wat youve posted not my type of book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post but should be about your independent novel!

    ReplyDelete