Monday, October 19, 2009

Speak

I am reading a book called "Speak" by Lauren Halse Anderson. The book is about a girl named Melinda who called the police at a party during the summer. Now her best friends won't talk to her and they hate her. She is hiding a secret that can't tell anyone. It's apparently about the party, but that's all I know. I'm at the part where there is a pep rally. A girl named Heather (who is the closest thing to a friend she has) drags her there. (No, not literally) A group of kids she is standing with notices her as the girl who called the police at the party.

So far, the book is okay. It's very negative and slow because Melinda kind of hates her life. The story is set in a high school, (Melinda is a freshman) but high school very different from middle school and hard to relate to. It's kind of hard to relate to what the character is going through in high school if you aren't in high school. The thing I like about this book is that the setting kind of starts off in a bad place for Melinda, but that leaves me thinking that she is going to do something or that something is going to happen that is going to change the story. Also, there are many un-answered questions that I have. The book started with two big questions that I want to be answered so bad that I am forced to keep reading. Those questions being... What happened at that party? and... What is her big secret? I've heard a few good recommendations for this book, so I hope it gets more interesting.

I commented on Moira's blog.

1 comment:

  1. sounds kind of interesting yet kind of weird. Tell me if it gets better, please.

    ReplyDelete